Lloyd's of London

From 1688 when Edward Lloyd opened a coffee house in which to conduct his shipping insurance business, he encouraged a wide clientele of ships’ captains, merchants, ship owners and others with an interest in overseas trade. This was crucial to successful underwriting and ensured that Lloyd’s quickly became recognised as the best place for obtaining marine insurance.

While Lloyd’s may be able to trace its roots to a seventeenth century coffee house, the modern incarnation of the society is now considered the centre of the world’s insurance market. Lloyd’s today clearly reflects its historic roots. It is still a society of underwriters formed into syndicates, who have stalls in the Lloyd’s market, and agree terms for accepting risk. Lloyd’s efficiency and reputation continues to depend on a single market place, located under one roof, known as The Room.

When Richard Rogers Partnership first began to work with Lloyd’s in 1977, the institution had traded from two buildings, the 1928 building designed by Sir Edwin Cooper with its main entrance on Leadenhall Street, and the 1958 building on Lime Street which housed The Room.  Having moved its operations twice in 50 years, Lloyds were keen to commission a new building to last through the 21st century.  In particular, The Room was completely inadequate for the burgeoning team of underwriters.

The Chairman of Lloyd’s decided that finding an architect who could work with them to produce a strategy for development and expansion, rather than simply another new building, was a priority. As such, the principle requirements of the Lloyd’s brief were; to cater for the needs of the market into the twenty-first century, while retaining a single underwriting room; to maintain full continuity of trading with minimum disturbance throughout the construction programme; to facilitate the flexible expansion and contraction of the underwriting space; and to create a building of quality which not only contributes to the environment of the City of London, but maintains Lloyd’s position at the centre of the world’s insurance trade.

Awards
 
RIBA Regional Award 1988
PA Award for Innovation in Building Design and Construction 1988
Eternit 8th International Prize for Architecture Special Mention 1988
Concrete Society Commendation 1987
Financial Times 'Architecture at Work' Award 1987
Concrete Society Commendation 1987
Civic Trust Award 1987
 
Project data
   
Location London, England
Uses Category Office
Dates 1978 - 1986
   
Area
   
Gross Internal Area 55,000m²
   
Number of Floors 20
   
Costs
   
Construction Cost £75,000,000
   
Client Lloyd's of London
   
The Architect Richard Rogers Partnership
   
Team  
Laurie Abbott, Graham Anthony, Julia Barfield, Robert Barnes, Susan Blyth, Kieran Breen, Simon Colebrook, Julianne Coleman, Ian Davidson, Mike Davies, Maureen Diffley, Janet Dunsford, Michael Elkan, Graham Fairley, Marco Goldschmied, Philip Gumuchdjian, Ivan Harbour, Roger Huntley, Eva Jiricna, Andrew Jones, Wendy Judd, Amarjit Kalsi, Kathy Kerr, Stig Larsen, Malcolm Last, Marcus Lee, Stephen Le Roith, Colin MacKenzie, David Marks, John McAslan, Michael McGarry, Sue McMillan, Peter McMunn, Andrew Morris, Tim Oakshot, Richard Marzec, Gennaro Picardi, Frank Peacock, Robert Peebles, Elizabeth Post, Caryn Roger, Richard Rogers, Henrietta Salvesen, Georgina Savva, Kiyo Sawoaka, Richard Soundy, Peter St. John, Graham Stirk, Judy Taylor, Peter Thomas, Jamie Troughton, Stephen Tsang, Niki van Oosten, Andrew Weston, Chris Wilkinson, Joseph Wilson, Yasu Yada, John Young  
   
Acoustic Consultant Sandy Brown Associates
   
Catering Consultant GWP Associates
   
Facade Consultant - Main Cladding & External Works Stephen Le Roith with Graham Fairley, Ivan Harbour, Elizabeth Post, Niki van Oosten
   
Facade Consultant - Service Tower Cladding Frank Peacock with Amarjit Kalsi, Peter St. John, Clare Strasser
   
Graphic Design Pentagram Design Ltd
   
Internal and External Theatre Developments Ltd
Systems / Audio Visual  
   
Lighting Consultant Friedrich Wagner of Lichttechnische Planung
   
Main Contractor Bovis Construction Ltd
   
Model Makers Tetra Design Services Ltd
   
Planning Consultant Montagu Evans
   
Quantity Surveyor Monk Dunstone Associates
   
Rights of Light Consultant Anstey Horne & Co
   
Services Engineer Ove Arup & Partners
   
Structural Engineer Ove Arup & Partners